Applying Mascara – The Right Way
- Don’t pump the wand in and out of the bottle. This pushes excess air into the tube which will make the mascara dry out faster causing exactly what you want to avoid: clumping and flaking. Instead, gently twist the back and forth or in circular motions to gather the desired amount of product.
- Before applying mascara, consider curling you lashes with an eyelash curler. If you decide to curl your lashes, begin at the root of the lashes being careful not to get any skin into the eyelash curler. Press the curler together and hold for about 10 seconds and move the curler out to the end of your lashes and repeat. Again, this step is optional but it does make for longer looking lashes and opens the eye.
- When you remove the wand from the bottle make sure to scrape off any excess mascara from the wand, especially towards the tip of the wand. This will help you avoid making your lashes clumpy and unwanted mess.
- For the top lashes, look straight forward, holding the wand horizontally, place at the root of your lashes. Using a back-and-forth, wiggling motion to keep lashes from clumping together. While moving the wand up your lashes and sweep upward, to help give your lashes a curled effect. Keep repeating this until you get your lashes as thick as you want, usually 2 coats is enough.
- For the bottom lashes, tilt your head forward slightly to keep from getting mascara elsewhere on your face. Hold the wand vertically and use wiggling motions starting at the roots, towards the tips of your lower lashes. In case of mess, you may want to fold a tissue in half, holding the edge just under your eye to prevent smearing etc. If desired, you can even purchase a mascara specifically for your lower lashes. Check out Clinique’s Bottom Lash Mascara : the brush was engineered to grasp and coat your tiniest lashes; while the expert formula resists pesky formulas.
Keep Lashes From Clumping
Lash combs are great to keep your lashes from clumping. To use a lash comb, first applymascara at the lash base, and then wiggle the lash comb through to the tips of your lashes.
Don’t Be Afraid to Mix Mascaras
It’s okay to have two favorite mascaras, so why not combine them? Easily make your lashes pop by applying one coat of lengthening mascara, followed by one coat of a volumizing mascara.
Try a Colored Mascara
Basic mascara rules are simple: Black works for everyone but can be harsh on light-skinned blondes. Blondes should opt for brown/black by day and reserve black for night. Burgundy or plum colors make blue eyes pop, as do blue mascaras. Purple mascara looks great on brown eyes. Here’s a great example of hued mascara by Estee Lauder, it’s the Sumptous Extreme Lash Multiplying Volume Mascara in Extreme Violet. Estee Lauder carries a variety of colors from this line to add that pop of color to enhance your eyes.
Use a Mascara Primer
Just like you do before applying foundation, prep your lashes with a primer. The primer can help you get the most out of your mascara, while working with the formula to get maximum, lasting effects. Try Smashbox Layer Lash Primer, packed with strengthening and conditioning panthenol for longer, healther lashes.
Wait to Blink & Double-Check Once Dry
Before you blink or even think about touching around your eye area, wait a few minutes to let the mascara dry to prevent smudging, smearing, and raccoon eyes.
Picking the Best Mascara for You
There are what seems to be a zillion mascaras out there – so how do you know which one is the one for you? Consider what your target concern is: length, volume, growth, waterproof, extra curl, multi-tasking etc. Once you decide what you want from your mascara, your search has narrowed down! Here are a few picks I selected that you may want to try for yourself…
Too Faced Lash Injection Mascara
Elastic polymers surround each lash to stretch beyond the natural lash for extreme volume and intense drama. In one coat, have rich, full lashes. With 2-3 coats, get extreme volume and intense drama. Long-wearing, weatherproof formula ensures lashes never smudge or flake. Blended with a generous dose of moisturizing Vitamin E for longer, healthier lashes. Free of parabens, chemicals and phthalates.
Physicians Formula Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin Mascara
Revolutionary 100% Natural Origin formula contains the purest ingredients and provides 5x Lash Boosting for lash length, volume & definition naturally.
100% Recyclable Eco-Brush defines each lash with ultra-soft plastic bristles and 100% Free of Harsh Chemicals, Synthetic Preservatives, Parabens, Clumping, Smudging, Flaking, Fibers & Dyes.
Maybelline Great Lash Mascara
A lengthening and thickening mascara.
It has a medium-size brush; the tube has a wiper to keep the formula from getting gloppy on the brush; it’s ophthalmologist-tested and safe for sensitive eyes and contact-lens wearers.
Great for everyday, the light formula delivers long, evenly spaced lashes and keeps them soft, not brittle or spiky.
Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara
The hottest thing lashes will ever wear. The mascara that does for lashes what stilettos do for legs.
Grip & Extend brush grasps each lash and coats from every angle. Elastic formula stretches lashes for provocative length. Pro-Vitamin B-5 formula conditions and smooths for black-patent shine.
Contact lens safe.
Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara
A lash-defining and lengthening mascara
The wand has a thin, tapered brush that evenly deposits the dark formula.
This conditioning formula (loaded with jojoba and meadowfoam seed oils and shea butter) is paraben-free, and the narrow brush grabs and defines every last lash for a natural, you-but-better look.
Pump up the Volume
An intensely volumizing mascara for bigger, fuller lashes.
This vitamin-enriched formula deepens, darkens, and thickens from root to tip. The curvy hourglass-shaped brush holds the ideal amount of mascara to ensure every lash is coated evenly with a silky, clump-free formula.
L’oréal Voluminous Million Lashes Mascara
Wimpy lashes turn big and beautiful in a few smooth, clump-free swipes.
(Shown in waterproof formula)
The Millionizer brush has a multitude of bristles to separate lashes for a fanned-out lash effect. The excess wiper removes excess mascara. It leaves the brush coated with just the right amount of formula to achieve maxed up volume with no overload and no clumps.
MAC Haute & Naughty Mascara
The double, screw-on tops are placed one over another on a single tube: the hot pink cap puts less color on the wand; the sparkly purple one beneath loads the brush with more product for a thicker application.
The top precision wiper combs lashes for length and hits the teeny corner hairs and bottom baby ones; the other gives plenty of fullness and lush-looking color, but with a few more clumps.
Lorac Multiplex 3D Lashes Volumizing & Thickening Mascara
This buildable, smudge-resistant and multidimensional mascara contains Silk and Keratin, which help to nourish and condition your lashes.
This mascara instantly delivers up to three times the volume of your natural lashes for a dramatic lash look while silk and keratin nourish and condition. Its professional curved brush easily grabs, lifts, and curls for maximum coverage and length.
Urban Decay SuperCurl Curling Mascara
This formula boosts curl, separates lashes, and literally crafts each one into an expertly-shaped, battable set.
Part of the secret lies in the molded and curved new technology wand that shapes lashes AND holds curl effectively throughout the day. The incredible conditioning ingredients of the formula – packed with glycoprotein for lash thickening, moringa seeds to help with curl definition, and Meadowfoam seed oil and Shea Butter for conditioning and smoothing.